[Concurrent Session : BYOL]
Wednesday, 6/29/2011, 1:15pm–2:15pm
Catlin Tucker, Windsor High School with Colt Briner
Experience the limitless possibilities of a structured online discussion tool: dynamic discussions, community-building activities, student-driven projects, and collaborative creative and formal writing. You'll leave inspired!
This session will provide attendees:
15 minutes - Importance of Creating and Maintaining a Safe Space Online
- Establish clear expectations for student communication and participation online.
- Discuss online ice-breakers to build community and foster relationships.
- Attendees will complete a sample ice-breaker. Results page will show them the results/outcomes of their responses/discussion.
15 minutes - Art of Asking Questions
- Discuss strategies for designing complex, interesting questions that drive higher-level thinking skills.
- Attendees will experiment designing and posting questions related to their field of study.
- 15 minutes - Using an Online Discussion Forum to Facilitate Student Driven Projects/Assignments
Examples of the following will be posted on a sample Collaborize Classroom site for participants to explore: Challenge Based Learning Project, Literature Circles, Reciprocal Learning Opportunities, Creative Writing Assignments, etc.
- Attendees will visually “see” how an online discussion tool can support innovative learning experiences for students. Questions about the various projects/assignments will be addressed during this part of the session.
5 minutes - Close with a discussion of “Weaving Strategies”
- How can online discussions be woven back into the classroom to achieve optimal results for student learning?
10 minutes- Question and Answer
26th–29th June 2011