Custom Menus And Navigation
Outline of intermediate level WordPress course
- What is WordPress actually doing? Using Twenty Eleven theme, in the Editor, review theme templates: page, index, header, footer, sidebars, style sheet. Show how page templates relate to the header, footer, and sidebars. Difference between page.php and its variations and index.php.
- Show Widget area. Note that sidebars shown are where widgetized content is placed, to be accessed by code in the various sidebars. Note that custom menus are accessed in a similar fashion.
- Show portion of functions.php file where sidebars are registered.
- Register a new sidebar for customization of the theme by copy-and-paste of sidebar code. Show that new sidebar area appears in Widget area.
- Create a new sidebar based on the default sidebar.php file. Explain naming convention.
- Create a custom menu with content desired for custom sidebar.
- Show how to add custom menu, and any other desired widget, to new sidebar.
- Show php code needed to make a new page template. Create a new page template based on page.php that calls new custom sidebar using the sidebar name.
- Add new page to appropriate menu. Show that this new page uses the new menu in place of the default menu.
About the speaker
Generally happy. Love making sites with WordPress. Love teaching about it, too.
bio from Twitter
Coverage of this session
to add slides, notes or videos to this session