by Nikki Katz
Most bloggers are writers, but are you an editor too? Being the managing editor of your own site allows you to treat it like the professional periodical it deserves to be. In this session Nikki will walk you through how to create and manage an editorial calendar; develop editorial standards surrounding your vision and voice; learning to objectively edit your own work; establish a method for soliciting guest bloggers, managing and editing their work; and finding quality contributing bloggers to regularly submit content.
1. Create an editorial calendar to manage content and contributors.
2. Develop editorial standards for consistency of voice and posts
3. Solicit guest and contributing bloggers
Mur Lafferty & Rob Walch have been interviewing guests for their podcasts since 2004. This session covers tips and tricks to put together an entertaining and informative interview. It will cover the technical side of recording, including editing the interview and choosing to using Skype, the phone, or an in-person interview. It will also cover the style side: how to prepare (scheduling high profile guests), how to interact with your guest (the skilled use of pauses), and what to do if the interview goes south (don’t panic!)
1. How to record an interview – Different tools to use and when.
2. The Art of the interview.
3. How to find people to interview
4. The importance of editing a finished interview.
by Ali Luke
We’ll be covering good editing practices for bloggers, concentrating on blog posts and pages, and also touching on longer forms of content such as ebooks. The four key steps we’ll go through are: (i) reading through your piece and making notes; (ii) editing the “big picture” (overall structure and content); (iii) editing the details (sentences and individual words); (iv) using formatting (bold, lists, subheads) to enhance your writing. We’ll focus on practical advice you can put into practice straight away. During the presentation, I’ll give you plenty of examples to help demonstrate the difference that editing makes to a piece of writing.
1. Understand the importance of careful editing as part of the writing process.
2. Learn practical, easy-to-implement tips for editing blog posts quickly.
3. Know how to edit and polish crucial pieces of content like landing pages, About pages and ebooks
5th–7th June 2012