In this session we'll be taking the 'concept' of responsive design and adding the complexities of comic script / writing / illustrations/ colouring and apply this to webcomics. This is a practical exploration, taking an idea to prototype. A look at the world of digital and print comics, then kickstarting a new framework / format, and a new way of publishing/constructing these stories. Hacking / Design & Discussion involved.
Session Notes will be available to be made and added to a group etherpad here: https://capow.etherpad.mozilla.o...
The session will aim to tackle several identified problems in producing a comic publishing tool, this will be done as groups and prototypes/hacks created along these lines :
- Explore layout concepts of deploying sequential art/storytelling in the new medium of digital devices/tablets and screens.
- Explore/think about solutions to typography and script direction through responsive design workflows.
- Explore, discuss and hack semantic HTML in the context of sequential art / storytelling.
- Think about audio and how that can play a role in webcomics and the synchronised multimedia. (does popcorn.js enable this?)
- Use an open source web comic Vision Machine (Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike) as exercise material and see how it can be developed into a responsive web comic, with some of the identified problems of the session ( I have visual assets, that we can hack with).
- Tackle Lettering/Ballooning issues.
- Explore Parallax Scrolling requirements
- Look at the infinite canvas.
- Look at / discuss real world examples of web comics stretching the boundaries.
- The start of a framework that any comic creator (writer / and / or artist can use to deploy their own comic vision/story in a format that is responsive and utilises the modern browser.
- Contribution and development of | the framework on github
- A small core working team that continues to iterate and improve the concepts / framework / tool.
- Get comic industry input and feedback.
- Lots of fun engaging web comics created
- Learning new ways of storytelling through text/image through our computers.
- Opportunity to join a github open source project to continue its ongoing development with web comic creators