Getting Down and Dirty with Accessibility and Usability
The "Getting Down and Dirty with Accessibility and Usability" workshop is a hands-on workshop. You'll learn the simple solutions that can instantly improve your website accessibility. You will go out into the world with some new tools and tricks - and knowledge that you can share with others.
- For the best experience, you should bring a laptop.
- We will all be working, discussing, and contributing. This is a beginner-level workshop, but everyone is welcome.
- Sometimes even experienced people have forgotten the easy, "beginner" tricks!
- Do bring actual samples of websites to work on or to discuss.
- Discussion topics might be good or bad examples of accessibility and usability in a website that can teach us a lesson or two.
- Some basic HTML knowledge is expected. Nothing fancier will be used in the workshop.
- "Eager to learn" may be the most important requirement.
- If you have no website to work with, you can create one at wordpress.com in under 5 minutes. That can be your sandbox for future experiments.
- We'll also work on testing or evaluation of website accessibility. We'll talk briefly about screen readers. I'll demo VoiceOver for Mac (all Mac users have this). Windows users can download NVDA http://www.nvda-project.org/ All can try Fangs, a plug-in for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US...
- We'll also discuss what the nuances are between accessibility and usability, and what they mean for your site.
My motivation for creating this workshop is to get people making changes and improvements now. Start learning about accessibility for your own websites, and gain the knowledge that you can teach others at your workplace. If you have any practical questions, you are welcome to contact Karen Mardahl directly at http://www.mardahl.dk/contact/
About the speaker
Geeky, nerdy, webgrrl, technical communicator (a11y, UX, CS) - mostly just me - and occasionally in Danish.
bio from Twitter
to add slides, notes or videos to this session