Friday 12th September, 2014
2:40pm to 3:20pm
oVirt is an open datacenter virtualization management solution. It is an open source project that is backed by Red Hat, and is the upstream project for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization. Built on top of libvirt and KVM, oVirt makes it easy to manage the virtualization of an entire datacenter via it's point and click web-based interface.
Benefits of oVirt:
* cost -- free!
* ease of management of a multi-datacenter, heterogeneous IT environment
* automation -- REST API, CLI, Python and Java SDKs
oVirt comes out of the box with both an administration portal and an end-user portal. The administration portal is designed for virtualization administrators and allows you to manage the entire datacenter. The user portal allows end users to access virtual machine consoles and start and stop machines.
In this session, Greg will present:
* an overview of the technology oVirt is built on top of -- kvm, libvirt, spice, and a quick detour to virt-manager
* overview of the hypervisor installations available, topography of an oVirt installation
* quick description of how oVirt treats storage
* demonstration of the oVirt web administration portal
* demonstration of the oVirt user portal
* running the oVirt engine in a VM! (self-hosted engine)
Sign in to add slides, notes or videos to this session