This workshop will provide a forum for IT staff from higher education institutions to share ideas, concerns and experiences with peers from other institutions. Workshop leaders will have a number of topics prepared, but the bulk of the agenda will be set by the participants.
Topics and situations that are of particular concern to system administrators in higher education include:
- The Higher Ed and Higher Ed IT cultures
- Working with both centralized and distributed/independent IT organizations
- Skills to deal with the diverse and competing forces in the Higher Ed setting
- Practical ideas to improve the service and support we provide
- IT decision-making in Higher Ed
- Being effective and when the outcomes are difficult to measure; our product is the mission of the institution, accomplished by our students, faculty and staff
- Career advancement and moving into or out of Higher Ed
- Working with research projects, students, instructors and faculty
- Keeping tech current and relevant while maintaining significant infrastructure used by diverse and possibly unknown or unidentified user bases.