Saturday 24th October, 2015
2:00pm to 5:00pm
In fields like computer vision, speech recognition and natural language processing, deep learning has produced state-of-art results. And they are showing lot of promise in other fields too.
This workshop will provide an introduction to deep learning. It would cover some of the common deep learning architectures, advantages and concerns through a lot of hands-on.
The workshop will cover the following:
1) What is deep learning?
2) Motivation: Some use cases where it has produced state-of-art results
3 Building blocks of Artificial Neural Networks
3) Supervised learning (multi-layer perceptron, deep convolution networks, recurrent neural networks )
4) Unsupervised learning (autoencoders) time permitting
5) Impact of GPUs (Some practical thoughts on hardware and software)
6) Hands-on modeling : a text classification problem. Image classification problem would be covered depending on time.
The data and software requirements are posted onto the github repository. The repository for this workshop:
Please install them prior to the workshop.
A) What should be the ideal background of the attendee?
Ideally, participants should've read up about the following things about machine learning:
1) What is machine learning
2) Supervised and unsupervised learning
3) What is bias and variance
5) Should have some Python experience to follow the hands-on.
B) Do I need GPU? All the codes are meant to run on a 4 GB RAM machine. The workshop assumes no GPU on the attendee's laptop. If there's stable internet in the workshop room, we would use www.terminal.com to do the GPU part of the code.
C) Do you support Windows machine? We haven't used Windows in a while and so, would prefer Linux/Mac. If you have a Windows machine, we strongly recommend you to install a Linux VM and follow the instructions on the repo to install the requirements.
D) Do I need to know Python? The workshop assumes the attendee has atleast a limited working knowledge of Python. The attendee should've had programming experience(in some language).
"Bargava Subramanian is a Senior Data Scientist at Cisco Systems, India. He has a Masters in Systems/Statistics from University of Maryland, College Park, USA. He has over 12 years of experience in the field of business data analytics.
Raghotham. S is a full-stack developer at RedMart. He has a Masters in Computer Science from BITS, Pilani, India. He has over 5 years of experience. He has been instrumental in architecting an analytics platform for a wearable devices company(IoT).
Sign in to add slides, notes or videos to this session