Thursday 10th November, 2016
8:30am to 5:00pm
Lecture 1 - Contract Formation
This lecture will examine the key principles of contract formation and their application to
construction contracts. The issues to be addressed are: -
- Elements of A Simple Contract;
- Offer, Acceptance and Consideration;
- Formation of Contract and “the battle of the forms”;
- Contract Terms;
- Contract Interpretation;
- Application of Principles to Construction Contract.
Lecture 2 - Change Management
This lecture will examine specific contract clauses relating to variations, including some common
principles relating to valuation of variations. The issues to be addressed are: -
- The Concept of Change;
- Valid Variations;
- Construction Contract Provisions;
- Valuation of Variations.
Lecture 3 - Time for Completion, Liquidated Damages & Extension of Time
This lecture will examine the common issues relating to delays and extension of time, and the
enforcement of liquidated damages provisions for delays, including an outline of the different
techniques commonly adopted to demonstrate delays. The issues to be addressed are: -
- Contract Obligations As To Time;
- Damages, Penalties and Challenges to Liquidated Damages;
- Extension of Time Provisions, Notices and Delay Certificates;
- Delay Analysis Techniques.
Lecture 4 - Loss & Expense Claims
This lecture will examine the general principles relating to the contractor’s entitlement (if any) to loss
and expense under standard forms of contract, including the principles governing the evaluation of
head office overheads and profit, interest and finance charges. The issues to be addressed are: -
- General Contract Principles;
- Potential Heads of Claim;
- Contract Provisions for Loss and Expense;
- Global Claims;
- Common Law Claims.
Lecture 5 - Practical Contract Administration Part I
- General Principles of Good Contract Administration;
- Contract Documentation;
- Performance Bond Obligations and Liabilities.
Lecture 6 - Practical Contract Administration Part II
- Completion and Defects;
- Design Liability;
- Contractor in Liquidation.
Sign in to add slides, notes or videos to this session